About the Data Inventory
During the Data Inventory, each Session Member builds its Local Inventory, i.e. the inventory of its own data to be synchronized, and sends it to the other members.
The development of the Local Inventory is an optimized process specific to ByteSync. It is based on the analysis of the local data according to the Cloud Session settings and the information shared with the other Session Members.
Here is how this process works:
- Preliminary identification of the set of files to be synchronized. These are the selected files and the files recursively contained in the directories selected by the Session Member.
- Transmission of the preliminary identifications between all the members.
- Analysis of the preliminary identifications to determine which files are present in several inventories.
- Depending on the Session Analysis Mode and the preliminary file information, rsync signatures for files that are present on multiple inventories will be calculated.
When Analysis mode is Standard, the signature is calculated if the size or the last write date of the files differs.
When Analysis mode is Checksum, the signature is always calculated.
- When the rsync signature calculation is complete, the Local Inventory is saved and sent to other members.
The Data Inventory is complete when all Local Inventories have been passed to each Session Member.
Starting the Data Inventory
The Data Inventory starts when the Cloud Session creator clicks on [START DATA INVENTORY].
At that time:
- It will no longer be possible to change the settings of the Cloud Session.
- Session Members will no longer be able to change the selection of directories and files to scan.
- The Local Inventory will start simultaneously for each Session Member.
Each Session Member will then see a Local Inventory monitoring area.
Monitoring the Local Inventory
The Local Inventory monitoring area is split into 3 parts:
- The left side shows the overall status of the inventory. The inventory is complete when both the identification process and the analysis process are finished.
- The middle section shows the identification process. It lasts until every directory and every file is discovered.
- The right part shows the analysis process. It is during the analysis phase that the rsync signatures of the files are calculated.